Source: House of Commons Library – Education: Historical statistics
- All figures are for students from all domiciles.
- Full-time first degree students only.
- 1925 – excludes higher degrees awarded without further study
- 1973 – includes universities in Northern Ireland
- 1994- includes former Polytechnics and the Open University from now on
- 2000 – includes students qualifying from ‘dormant’ status – where a student is not actively studying for their qualification. This may be where there is an administrative delay between completion and award. These qualifications were not previously recorded. The main impact is on the number of doctorates.