Explore the measures used to assess diverse aspects of physical activity within and across six CLOSER partner studies
This guide was created as part of CLOSER Work Package 15: Socio-economic differentials in physical activity by age and cohort – enhancing the CLOSER cohort resource to inform research, policy and practice.
- Objective and outline of this guide
- Definitions and scientific importance
- Physical activity domains
- Data collection methods
- Developing an inventory of physical activity measures
Learn more about the studies and their measurement of physical activity
- 1946 National Survey of Health and Development (NSHD)
- 1958 National Child Development Study (NCDS)
- 1970 British Cohort Study (BCS70)
- Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC)
- Millennium Cohort Study (MCS)
- Understanding Society: The UK Household Longitudinal Study (UKHLS)
Explore the measures by physical activity domain: Cross-study coverage and comparability
- Summary of cross-study comparisons
- Leisure time physical activity
- Occupational activity
- Active travel
- Domestic activities
- Sedentary behaviour
Electronic appendix: Index of all documented measures
- Acknowledgements and copyright information for this guide
- References for this guide
- Download the full guide as a PDF
Note this guide currently covers measures collected by the named studies up to February 2023.
Version 2 was updated by Charlotte Campbell and the CLOSER team in March 2023.
To cite the guide, please use the following suggested citation:
Fluharty, M., Villadsen, A., Kandola, A., Griffiths, L., O’Neill, D., Pinto Pereira, S., Timpson, N., Cooper, R., Campbell, C., & Bann, D. (2023). Physical activity across age and study: a guide to data in six CLOSER studies (Version 2). London, UK: CLOSER.