Source: House of Commons Library – UK Election Statistics: 1918-2022
- For elections up to 1992, the Speaker of the House of Commons is listed under the party he represented before his appointment. From 1997 the Speaker is listed under ‘Other’.
- Conservative figures include National, National Liberal and National Labour candidates for 1931-1935; National and National Liberal candidates for 1945; National Liberal & Conservative candidates for 1945-1970.
- Liberal Democrat figures include Independent Liberal for 1931; Liberal/SDP Alliance vote for 1983-1987 and Liberal Democrat vote from 1992 onwards.
This page is part of Our Changing Society, a free resource developed by CLOSER to provide detailed information about the historical and political backdrop to study participants’ lives.
CLOSER’s mission is to increase the visibility, use and impact of longitudinal population studies, data and research to ensure that longitudinal evidence is used to address the health, social, economic and environmental challenges facing the UK, now and in the future.
Want to know more?
- Longitudinal News – Sign up to our monthly newsletter to hear about the latest news, blogs, research and events from the longitudinal community.
- Learning Hub – Find information and resources to help you better understand longitudinal population studies and how to use the data.
- CLOSER Discovery – Search and explore data in the UK’s most detailed search engine for longitudinal population studies.