Source: Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC) – Live tables on dwelling stock (including vacants)
- Figures for census years are based on census output.
- Data for years 1971 to 1990 sourced from Department of Environment publications: Housing and Construction Statistics, 1967-1979, 1977-1987,1980-1990 and 1990-1997. Great Britain totals from 2002 are derived by summing country totals at 31st March. For 1991 to 2001 Scotland stock levels from the year before is added into the UK total.
- Series from 1992 to 2011 for England has been adjusted so that the 2001 and 2011 total dwelling estimate matches the 2001 and 2011 Census. Estimates from 2002 are based on local authority and housing association dwelling counts, the Labour Force Survey and, from 2003, the English Housing Survey. Estimates may not be strictly comparable between periods.
This page is part of Our Changing Society, a free resource developed by CLOSER to provide detailed information about the historical and political backdrop to study participants’ lives.
CLOSER’s mission is to increase the visibility, use and impact of longitudinal population studies, data and research to ensure that longitudinal evidence is used to address the health, social, economic and environmental challenges facing the UK, now and in the future.
Want to know more?
- Longitudinal News – Sign up to our monthly newsletter to hear about the latest news, blogs, research and events from the longitudinal community.
- Learning Hub – Find information and resources to help you better understand longitudinal population studies and how to use the data.
- CLOSER Discovery – Search and explore data in the UK’s most detailed search engine for longitudinal population studies.