Source: British Heart Foundation (BHF) – Heart & Circulatory Disease Statistics 2022
- Directly age-standardised to the European Standard Population 2013.
- Statistics recorded every two years from 1969 – 1993, and annually thereafter.
|1962||Publication: Smoking and Health - Royal College of Physicians
The report often cited as the beginning of changes in attitudes towards smoking.
The Government used the 1964 Television Act to ban commercials from advertising cigarettes. (Introduced in 1965).
|1971||Introduction of health warnings on packaging
Introduced government warnings onto all cigarette packaging.
Banned smoking in enclosed public spaces. (Introduced in 2007)
|2018||Soft Drinks Industry Levy
Aimed to reduce sugar in soft drinks and tackle obesity. Known widely as the 'Sugar Tax'.
This page is part of Our Changing Society, a free resource developed by CLOSER to provide detailed information about the historical and political backdrop to study participants’ lives.
CLOSER’s mission is to increase the visibility, use and impact of longitudinal population studies, data and research to ensure that longitudinal evidence is used to address the health, social, economic and environmental challenges facing the UK, now and in the future.
Want to know more?
- Longitudinal News – Sign up to our monthly newsletter to hear about the latest news, blogs, research and events from the longitudinal community.
- Learning Hub – Find information and resources to help you better understand longitudinal population studies and how to use the data.
- CLOSER Discovery – Search and explore data in the UK’s most detailed search engine for longitudinal population studies.