Click on the individual cognitive measures in the table below to find out more.
Along with raw and normalised variables for each cognitive test in childhood, the NSHD contains three standardised summary variables (COG8H, COG11H, and COG15H). These were calculated by transforming the raw scores of each measure to standardised z-scores, summing these z-scores, then re-standardising this total score . Thus, these derived variables provide a simple global cognitive functioning score.
Explore the cognitive measures in other studies covered by this guide:
- 1958 National Child Development Study (NCDS)
- 1970 British Cohort Study (BCS70)
- Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC)
- Millennium Cohort Study (MCS)
Explore the cognitive measures across studies by life stage:
- Background & instruction on using this guide
- Acknowledgements and copyright information for this guide
- References for this guide
- Download the full guide as a PDF
This page is part of CLOSER’s ‘A guide to the cognitive measures in five British birth cohort studies’.